it has become a general rule of thumb that it takes until the 3rd generation of a device or products life before it goes from good to great. And this Nokia Lumia smartphone is no exception.
I have had the Lumia for the past two weeks, Using it exclusively as my daily phone everywhere from the metropolis of Sydney to small town New Zealand both on 4g and on wifi. and have even taken it to a few places I probably shouldn’t have…. Like a WW1 trench. I’ll explain later
The last Nokia Lumia i had was the Nokia 1020, And even though I liked it enough to use it for most of 2014 …. I did have to invest in a Black rubber case to cover its god awful body. So imagine my delight when i discovered that the new Nokia Lumia 830 was not only not ugly, but actually a thing of great design!
The body is framed by a metal body not unlike a lot of other mobiles on the market, which gives the phone a very solid feel. Holding the Phone it doesn’t feel that if I should happen to accidentallydrop the phone that its all over. Add to that the lightweight brightly colored polycarbonate plastic back cover and a super clear 5″ Curved Gorilla 3.0 glass and you actually have quite a striking phone.
But if the bright colors of Orange or Green are not your thing, there is also the option of a sophisticated black back cover too.
Now the biggest feature design wise i like, The camera! Although they have squeezed an impressive camera once again into this phone, Nokia have managed to pull it back into the body. With only a slight rise from the back of the phone, The camera is well protected.
Try it , seriously! And even if you have tried windows in the past on a phone and didn’t like it, Give Windows Phone 8.1 Denim a shot!
Windows 8.1 brings with it a more seamless user experience and new features that users of iOS and Android are more accustomed to already such as :
Action Centre : Windows Phone’s new Action Centre gives you a single place to check for all your notifications, so you never miss a thing. New features include:
Quick actions : Customize the Action Center with customisable slots that you can use to access your favorite settings and even some applications.
Action Centre above Lock screen: Windows Phone gives you the option to view notifications within Action Centre even when your Lumia 830 is locked.
Notification settings: Select how you want to be alerted about notifications.
A convenient handle bar : For most screens, you simply swipe down to reveal the Action Centre. But for full screen experiences, the handle bar makes it less likely that you’ll accidentally activate Action Centre.
Built-in Skype and auto-sign in: Skype now comes built-in on Windows Phone 8.1. You can be signed into your account automatically when you sign in to your Microsoft account. This will automatically integrate your Skype contacts into the People Hub.
CORTANA ALPHA: The most personal digital assistant on the market, Cortana Alpha is now available in Australia as a public Alpha. Sadly, no plans to bring it to NZ yet.
And 30 gb of cloud storage free with your One Drive (formerly Sky Drive) account.
I actually believe though that Windows real future lays in the enterprise space that blackberry left behind, With seamless sync with existing Enterprise Email and Office 365 systems.
Let me take a selfie:
Whenever I get a new phone to review and I show it to someone, The very first thing 99% of people do is open the camera!
The Lumia 830 boasts a 10Mp PureView with ZEISS optics and OIS , 1080p (Full HD, 1920 x 1080) @ 30 fps… in laymans terms: Its better than the iPhone 6!
But thats just the specs and technical stuff, what about in actual use?
Well this is where my trip to a WW1 trench comes in. A couple of weekends ago i took my family to Armistice in Cambridge. This is a local event remembering and educating about various wars NZ has been involved in, This year they built a full scale WW1 trench and held a kids battle in there which i photographed and filmed using the phone.
The cool features in this phone are quite amazing considering the price point Such as wireless charging, screenshare (miracast) and NFC. All features you would expect from a high end phone ranging between $800-1000 not a $500-600 phone.
What else that is great is that the peripherals that support these features are widely available and in some cases , such as with the wireless pads; you get a couple of options to fit your budget.
This phone would be a great mobile even if it was at the same $800+ price point as its competitors but amazingly Microsoft have managed to squeeze all of this awesome into a very affordable phone, Currently retailing in NZ on the spark network for $599 outright and it even comes with the charging pad FREE for a limited time.
Would I buy it ? YES!
Size & weight
- Length: 139.4 mm
- Width: 70.7 mm
- Thickness: 8.5 mm
- Weight: 150 g
- Software release: Windows Phone 8.1 with Lumia Denim
- CPU name: Snapdragon™ 400
- Number of cores: Quad core
- Clock rate: 1200 MHz
- Display size: 5 ”
- Display resolution: HD720 (1280 x 720)
- Display colours: TrueColor (24-bit/16M)
- Display features: Brightness control, Sunlight readability enhancements, Corning® Gorilla® Glass 3, Easy to clean, High brightness mode, Lumia Color profile, Wide viewing angle
- Pixel density: 296 ppi
- Display technology: ClearBlack, IPS LCD
- Touch screen technology: Super sensitive touch
- User data storage: In device, Memory card, OneDrive cloud storage, App and data storage on memory card
- RAM: 1 GB
- Mass memory: 16 GB
- Maximum memory card size: 128 GB
- Expandable memory card type: MicroSD
- Free cloud storage: 15 GB
Keys and Input Methods
- User Input: Touch
- Dedicated hardware key: Volume Keys, Camera Key, Power/Lock key
- Sensors: Ambient Light Sensor, Accelerometer, Proximity Sensor, Gyroscope, Magnetometer, SensorCore
- Battery: BV-L4A
- Battery capacity: 2200 mAh
- Battery voltage: 3.8 V
- Replaceable battery: Yes
- Wireless charging: Built-in (Qi standard)
- Maximum standby time: 22 days
- Maximum talk time (2G): 12.9 h
- Maximum talk time (3G): 14.8 h
- Maximum talk time (4G): 14.9 h
- Maximum music playback time: 78 h
- Maximum Wi-Fi network browsing time: 14 h
- Maximum video playback time: 10 h
- Design details: Exchangeable back cover, Sculpted glass
- Other user interface features: Double-tap to wake, Glance screen, Vibrating alerts, Voice Commands, Word flow keyboard
- SIM card type : Nano SIM
- AV connectors: 3.5 mm audio connector
- Charging connectors: Micro-USB
- System connectors: Micro-USB-B
- USB: USB 2.0
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 4.0
- Bluetooth profiles: Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP) 1.2, Audio/Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP) 1.4, Generic Attribute Profile (GATT), Hands-free profile (HFP) 1.6, Object Push profile (OPP) 1.1, Personal Area Network Profile (PAN) 1.1, Phone Book Access Profile (PBAP) 1.1
- NFC: Pairing, Secure NFC for payment, Sharing, Tagging
- Wi-Fi: WLAN IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n, Wi-Fi Channel bonding
- Wi-Fi hotspot: Up to 8 Wi-Fi-enabled devices
- Other wireless connectivity: Screen projection
- Peer-to-peer sharing: Lumia Beamer, Lumia Storyteller, Play To DLNA app
- GSM network: 850 MHz, 900 MHz, 1800 MHz, 1900 MHz
- GSM max data speed DL: EGPRS 296.0 kbps
- GSM max data speed UL: EGPRS 236.8 kbps
- WCDMA network: Band 1 (2100 MHz), Band 5 (850 MHz), Band 8 (900 MHz)
- WCDMA max data speed DL: 42.2 Mbps (Cat 24)
- WCDMA max data speed UL: 5.76 Mbps (Cat 6)
- LTE FDD network: Band 1 (2100 MHz), Band 20 (800MHz), Band 3 (1800 MHz), Band 7 (2600 MHz), Band 8 (900MHz), Band 28 (700MHz)
- LTE max data speed DL: 150 Mbps (Cat 4)
- LTE max data speed UL: 50 Mbps (Cat 4)
Maps and navigation
- Main camera: 10.0 MP
- Camera Focus Type: Auto focus with two-stage capture key
- Camera digital zoom: 4 x
- Camera optics: 6-lens optics
- Stabilization: Optical image stabilization
- Sensor size: 1/3.4 inch
- Camera F number/aperture: f/2.2
- Camera focal length: 26 mm
- Camera Flash Type: Led flash
- Camera features: Backside-illuminated image sensor, PureView, True 16:9 sensor
- Camera minimum focus range: 10 cm
- Front camera: HD 0.9 MP wide angle
- Front camera f-number/aperture: f/2.4
- Front camera features: Still image capture, Video call, Video recording
- Front camera video resolution: 720p (HD, 1280 x 720)
- Main camera video resolution: 1080p (Full HD, 1920 x 1080)
- Camera video frame rate: 30 fps
- Camera video zoom: 4 x
- Video recording features: Optical image stabilization, Continuous autofocus, Lumia Rich Recording with Surround Sound, Lumia Video Trimmer app
- Video recording formats: MP4/H.264
- Camera apps: Bing vision, Lumia Camera, Lumia Cinemagraph, Lumia Panorama, Lumia Refocus, Lumia Selfie
Video and Audio
- Audio playback file formats: 3G2, 3GP, AAC, AMR, ASF, M4A, MP3, MP4, WMA
- Audio playback codecs: AAC LC, AMR-NB, GSM FR, HE-AAC, HE-AACv2, MP3, WMA 10 Pro, WMA 9
- Audio recording codecs: AAC LC, AMR-NB, Dolby Digital Plus, GSM FR
- DRM support: PlayReady
- Audio playback features: Dolby® Digital Plus surround sound, Dolby Headphone, Graphical equalizer, Media Player, Music player, Podcasts
- Audio recording file formats: AMR
- Audio recording features: Lumia Rich Recording with Surround Sound
- Radio features: Internet Radio, FM Radio
- Video playback frame rate: 30 fps
- Video playback codecs: H.263, H.264/AVC, MPEG-4, VC-1, Windows video
- Video streaming: YouTube browsing and video streaming, Streaming from video services and internet, Progressive video download, Video Upload app
- Music apps: Xbox Music
- General Security features: Device lock, PIN code, Device lock passcode, Regular signed firmware updates, Track and Protect via internet, Application certification, Application sandboxing, Backup and restore via Internet, Browser integrated anti-phishing, Remote device lock via Internet, Remote device wipe via Internet, Secure boot, Signed OS, Consumer VPN
- Enterprise security features: Mobile VPN, Remote lock and wipe, Hardware accelerated device encryption, Mobile device management, Remote security policy enforcement
- Supported security standards: TLS v1.0, TLS v1.1, TLS v1.2, SSL v3.0, Suite B ciphers
- WLAN Security: EAP-TTLS/MSCHAPv2, WPA, WEP, EAP-AKA, PEAP-MSCHAPv2, WPA2 (AES/TKIP), WPA2-Enterprise, WPA2-Personal, EAP-TLS, WPA-Enterprise, EAP-SIM, WPA-Personal
- Materials: Free of PVC, Contains recycled metals, Free of nickel on the product surface, Free of BFR, rFR as in NSL
- Packaging: Made of renewable materials, Minimized package, Packaging is 100 % recyclable, Virgin wood fibres up to 100% certified, Containing up to 30% recycled materials
- Energy efficiency: Automatic screen brightness adjustment, Battery saver feature, Energy efficient charger
- Product recycling: 100% recoverable as materials and energy
- Eco content and services: Available at Store, HERE Drive: route optimization, HERE Maps: pedestrian navigation
- User guide: In-device user guide, Small printed guide, full on our websites
- Hearing: Vibrating alerts, BT neckloop compatible, TTY support, Video call
- Vision: Vibrating alerts, Voice recognition, Font magnification, Voice Commands, Customizable home screen, High contrast mode, Screen magnification
- Physical skills: Voice Commands, Customizable home screen, Speakerphone, Speed dial, Voice recognition
Other services and features
Tools and productivity
- Features (Personal information Management): Calculator, Clock, Calendar, Alarm clock, Reminders, Phonebook, To-do list, Family Room, Kid’s Corner, OneNote, Social networks in Phonebook, Wallet, Notifications
- Business apps: Adobe Reader free download, Company Hub for enterprise applications, Lync (Corporate IM) free download, Office apps: Excel, Word, PowerPoint, OneNote, OneDrive storage for documents and notes
- Syncronization: Exchange ActiveSync, Via Windows Phone apps, Nokia Photo Transfer for Mac
- Back-up and restore your data: Yes
- Device management: AirWatch, MobileIron, Symantec, Microsoft System Center, OMA Client Provisioning v1.1, OMA Device Management v1.1.2, OMA Device Management v1.2, Windows Intune
- Call types: Audio call, Conference call, Skype video call
- Features (Call Management): Call waiting, Call history, Call forwarding, Integrated hands-free speakers, Speed dial, Voice mail
- Noise cancellation: Multimicrophone uplink noise cancellation
- Speech codecs: GSM FR, GSM HR, AMR-NB, AMR-WB, GSM EFR
- Supported amount of phonebooks: One integrated phonebook
- Contacts: Unlimited
- Ringtones: Downloadable ringtones, MP3 Ringtones
- Social apps: Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, WhatsApp, Flickr, Foursquare, OneDrive, Picasa, YouTube
- Game features: Touch UI, XBox-Live Hub, DirectX 11
- Email features: Viewing and editing of email attachments, Multiple email accounts, HTML emails, Inbox filtering, Text-to-speech message reader, Conversational view on email, Linked inboxes
- Messaging features: Text messaging, Automatic resizing of images for MMS, Distribution lists for messaging, Multimedia messaging, Conversational chat style SMS, Unified inbox for SMS and MMS, Concatenated SMS for long messages, Integrated text messaging and chat, Number screening for messaging, Text-to-speech message reader
- Browser: Internet Explorer 11